Interstate Commission for Water Coordination of Central Asia
Mandate and Objectives
The ICWC is the only interstate body established and authorized by the Heads of CA State to make binding decisions on current and emerging issues related to interstate water allocation and use.
The ICWC is charged with the responsibilities of:
- determining regional water policy and elaborating its key directions to meet the needs of all economic sectors and ensure sound and multipurpose use of water resources;
- planning and approving annually the water use limits for each republic and the region as a whole, schedules for reservoir operation regimes, correcting the former according to updated forecasts, depending on actual water availability and current water-related conditions.
The main goal of the establishment of ICWC is the adoption of principles of collective decision making on common water-related issues and on measures for implementation of joint programs, while respecting the interests of the parties.
- determining a common water policy and elaborating its key directions;
- planning and approving the water use limits, operation regimes of large reservoirs and controlling water allocation;
- developing and implementing environmental programs;
- preparing recommendations on the development of a single pricing policy and potential losses compensation mechanisms, as well as on legal framework of shared water use;
- coordinating implementation of large water infrastructural work and sharing existing capacities in national water sectors;
- creating a common information base on water resources, establishing joint monitoring of irrigated land and adjacent areas and general hydro-meteorological support; coordinating joint research efforts for scientific and technical support to address regional water issues and implement the designed schemes; facilitating corporate affairs in promoting water-conservation technologies and other advanced measures contributing to better water use; developing joint programs for emergency and disaster prevention and relief.