Interstate Commission for Water Coordination of Central Asia
ICWC, represented by five Ministers of water resources or by their prime deputies at par, is the body of five governments, which entrusted direct functions of water resources management and development and maintenance of sustainable natural and hydro ecological processes on transboundary water resources to the Ministries (State Committees, Departments) of Water Resources.
First ICWC meeting, Almaty, February 1992
ICWC meeting in Nukus, October 1993
The meetings are held quarterly by chairmanship of adequate states representatives in turn.
The main issues considered at the meetings are:
- determining a single water economy policy and working out its main directions in the interests of population and the sectors of the states;
- water resources rational use and protection;
- programs on enhancing water supply for river basins and measures on their performance;
- confirming the limits of annual consumption of water from its main sources for each of the states, and operation modes of large reservoirs;
- water allocation management and adjustment in the context of actual water availability and forming water economy situation.
ICWC also considers environmental programs related to the Aral Sea drying and water sources exhaustion, determination of annual volumes of water supply to river deltas and the Aral Sea, as well as of sanitation releases over rivers and canals.
At the meetings draft interstate agreements on joint water resources use, on water use legal foundations, on creation of a unified information base on water resources use, on monitoring of irrigated lands and adjacent areas, on provision of general hydro meteorological maintenance, on coordination of joint studies on scientific and technical support of regional water management problems, on schemes preparation fulfillment and others are discussed.
During the last 20 years in different years ICWC members were:
N. Kipshakbayev, T. Sarsenbekov, A. Ramazanov, A. Ryabtsev, A. Orman, I. Abishev, B. Bekniyaz, E. Nysanbayev.
Ì. Zulpuyev, A. Polotov, V. Melnichenko, J. Bekbolotov, À. Kostyuk, B. Koshmatov, Ch. Uzakbayev, Z. Jamaldinov, K. Tashtanaliyev.
A. Nurov, V. Shafoyev, I. Eshmirzoyev, I. Ashurov, D. Makhsudov, A. Nazyrov, S. Yokubzod, R. Bobokalonov, S. Rakhimov.
A. Ilamanov, P. Odeyev, A. Dadonov, S. Kurbanov, T. Altiyev, K. Volmuradov, A. Yazmyradov, S. Taganov.
R. Giniyatullin, T. Kamalov, A. Djalalov, Sh. Khamrayev.
Taking into account services in formation and organization of Interstate Coordination Water Commission, which assists in strengthening of economy and friendly relations between Central Asian peoples, its founders N. Kipshakbayev, M. Zulpuyev, A. Nurov, À. Ilamanov, R. Giniyatullin were selected as its Honorary members according to the 16th ICWC meeting decision.
ICWC from the very outset had 3 executive bodies newly established Secretariat and earlier existed two basin organizations BWO “Amudarya” and BWO “Syrdarya”, which were engaged in water resources allocation and head structures, interstate canal beds and structures serviceability maintenance and solved all issues, related to efficient water resources management in five countries and water supply to the Aral Sea and its coastal zone.
Then Scientific-Information Center (SIC), which would fulfil planning, development, informing and other functions and brings together more than 16 scientific and project organizations of Agreement member countries, and its national branches were established. Coordination Metrological Center (CMC) was started up in 2000.
Main directions of ICWC and its executive bodies practical work are:
- River basin management;
- Non-conflict water allocation;
- Organization of water conservation on transboundary water courses;
- Interaction with hydro meteorological services of the countries on flow forecast and account;
- Introduction of automation into head structures;
- Regular work on ICWC and its bodies activity advancement;
- Interstate Agreements preparation;
- International relations;
- Scientific researches;