Central Asian International Research and Practice Conference
Twenty Years of Water Cooperation among the Central Asian Countries: Past Experience and Future Challenges
On the 20th anniversary of the Interstate Commission for Water Coordination (ICWC), the following anniversary events will take place 20-21 September 2012 in Almaty - the city, where this significant occasion for the water sector and environment of Central Asia has happened:
- 60th anniversary meeting of ICWC
- Central Asian International Research and Practice Conference «Twenty Years of Water Cooperation among the Central Asian Countries: Past Experience and Future Challenges»
Goals of the Conference:
- Further development of interstate water cooperation
- Outcomes of twenty-year cooperation
- Unrealized opportunities, shortcomings, challenges, and ways out.
The Conference is scheduled in the form of two plenary sessions and five concurrent roundtables.
First plenary session – key reports on regional priorities
- Strengthening of the legal framework for cooperation;
- 10th anniversary of the Global Water Partnership for Central Asia and Caucasus - inputs into integrated water resources management;
- Water cooperation, water and energy security in Central Asia;
- Transboundary river water management;
- Preservation of water resources capacity under climate change.
Second plenary session – reports of roundtable chairmen, summing up, adopting a “Resolution”, and closing of the Conference